[Problem] - QB-35US3 keeps disconnecting when using the USB 3.0 connection

[Problem] - QB-35US3 keeps disconnecting when using the USB 3.0 connection

Good morning everyone, three days ago I bought a FANTEC QB-35US3 as I was interested in the USB 3.0 connection.

Here is my problem: when I try to read one file stored in the HDDs inside the box, the transfer (or reading) crashes and the connection gets lost. After 5-15 seconds the box gets automatically recognized again by my notebook, but as soon as I transfer another file, after some seconds the transfer freezes again. This happens almost every time I try to read a file from one of the HDDs inside the box, and as you can imagine, this has been quite annoying so far. I haven't written any file on the HDDs inside the box yet to avoid any possible corruption.

Here are my most significant notebook specifications:

- Asus N56VZ (released around September 2012, it has 4 USB 3.0 slots)
    - Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
    - Avira Antivirus Premium 2013
    - eXtensible Host Controller Intel® USB 3.0 (I'm using the latest 1.0.9.254 driver)

The only things I've done, are the following:

1) I tried the following driver versions for the USB 3.0 controller of my notebook:

- 1.0.4.220 (released on March 2012...)
    - 1.0.9.254 (I'm currently using this, released on August 2013)

No matter the driver I tried, the box always gave me problems, for example:

- Box connects/disconnects randomly, even without transferring or reading files from the HDDs inside the box (this problem doesn't seems to occur with my actual controller driver)
    - Windows ask me to format the disk inside the box (this problem doesn't seems to occur with my actual controller driver)
    - Random crashes and disconnections during transfers (this always happened, no matter the controller driver I used)

Please note: some months ago I copied around 5 GB from an external Western Digital Hard Drive through USB 3.0 and I had no problems, so I'm sure the controller of my notebook is ok.

2) I bought a new USB 3.0 cable, but strangely it didn't work, no matter the driver I used. This is strange because I tested the connector pins with a DMM and they were apparently ok, thus I was expecting it to be working like the cable provided in the original FANTEC package, but this didn't happen. The problem with my new cable, is the following: when I connect the box to my notebook using my cable, the blue led of the box (HDDs activity) blinks very fast, then it keeps making a single blink every 3 seconds, and the box doesn't get recognized by Windows (for example I don't hear any Windows sounds related to the USB connection). This doesn't happen with the FANTEC cable. I noticed that the connector of my new USB cable has a little difference over the FANTEC one, so if needed I could provide a pic of it. In the meanwhile, I'll be using the cable provided by FANTEC, just for testing purposes.

Anyway, I paid a premium price for this exernal USB 3.0 enclosure, so I'm confident that together we will find a solution to guarantee a stable USB 3.0 connection. If you need more information, please ask and those will be given.

Best regards

Pidgeon

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von „Pidgeon“ ()

Hi,

sorry to say but i think we can't really help you with your problem.

Our experience in such cases is that the Computer/Notebooks USB3.0 controller is defective/faulty (caused by deficient cooling, bad drivers/firmware or because the chipset is bulls*** :D ). Another problem could be a defective HDD and in this case you could check it easily with another HDD.

I guarantee you that in 99,9% of such cases the QB isn't the problem, we have checked similar devices from other customers here at our side and the QBs doesn't got any failure!

If you double-checked everything and you still believe it could be caused by the device the only way is to contact your merchant for a RMA so we can test the device. :thumbup:

Best regards,
    Lars
    Thanks for your reply. I tested the USB 2.0 connection, using a 2.0 cable male-male with type A and B connectors, connecting the box to my notebook, and everything worked fine. Thus we can deduce that the HDDs inside the box are working perfectly fine and they are properly connected to its connectors. On the other hand this is not a surprise, as in the past I used those drives in single external enclosures, and they never gave me any problem. So the HDDs I placed in the box are not defective.

You stated that the controller chipset could be bullshit? You are perfectly right, indeed here are some random impressions about the JMICRON JMS539 used by QB-35US3:

Now, let's analyze in depth the compatibility of JMS539 with other controllers. After a short research on the web, it emerged that the problem with this specific JMICRON chip, is that it is compatible only with a very small amount of controllers released until today. I think this is not acceptable, because if a product has to be released, I believe that it has to be compatible with at least the 75% of the devices. Obviously someone can't replace an entire notebook only because the chip used in an external storage enclosure, is not compatible with the controller. If my Intel controller was problematic with JMS539 but this chip worked with 99% of the controllers out there, then my Intel controller would be "bullshit", but surely this is not the case. The QB-35US3 is working fine except the JMS539 module, which unfortunately represents the core of the system. So it is unusable in USB 3.0 mode, because of the choice of using the JMS539 chip. In the QB-35US3 description it should have been reported that this box is not compatible with many controllers, for example by giving a list. This would have helped customers before making a purchase.

Moreover, this is what we know so far:
    - We should stay away from the JMS539 used in QB-35US3 (too late, I've already bought it), not because it doesn't work, but because it works with the 20% of the controller cards (you need a specific driver and a specific USB controller to make it works... the game of probability doesn't help)
    - The HDDs inside the box are properly connected and fully working
    - My Intel USB 3.0 controller worked with a Western Digital USB 3.0 external enclosure, so the Intel controller is not damaged.

This lends only to one kind of problem: compatibility between my Intel controller and JMS539, as we described above.

Ok, maybe a solution exists. If by using different versions of the Intel controller driver, the problem still persists, then what about upgrading the firmware of the QB-35US3?

I see that many companies selling external USB 3.0 enclosures, offer their customers some methods to upgrade the firmware. Here are some clear examples:

Moreover, some users reported great improvements regarding the USB 3.0 connection stability after having upgraded the firmware. So I suppose that FANTEC is offering firmware upgrades, too. I'll try that, please point me to the FANTEC firmware download page.

Out of curiosity, I have been chosen to write a review about this product for a magazine, but still I prefer to wait so that we could consider other solutions to solve the problem (maybe firmware upgrades?). This product has the potential to be interesting given the price, in this case there is a small step between recommended product (fan, synchronization, USB 3.0, eSATA) and epic fail (20% of compatibility... too little). Let's hope we'll do the step in the right direction.

Best regards

Pidgeon

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von „Pidgeon“ ()

Hi,

JMS539 isn't the problem, it works 100% with all Controllers and also the Intel USB3.0 controllers. Please read my answer in the first posting carefully!

Here at our side we have tested all devices with all USB3.0 Controllers and i guarantee you that we got absolutely no problems but on some Controllers you must use the latest Firmwares and drivers because they're very buggy.

There's no need for a QB Firmware Update because the latest Firmware (BUGFREE!) is already installed on the delivered QBs. :thumbup:

If you got still problems please do it like i described so we can check your device:

Lars schrieb:

If you double-checked everything and you still believe it could be caused by the device the only way is to contact your merchant for a RMA so we can test the device. :thumbup:
    It's not possible to check it anymore here in the Forum so i will now close this Thread.

Best regards,
    Lars