QB-35US3R - more detail installation manual please !!!

QB-35US3R - more detail installation manual please !!!

I have just bought the model QB-35US3R and trying its limitations before using it with real data.
    Unfortunately there is very pure information in the enclosed manual about the variations and using different HDD-s in this equipment.

For example:

1. Generally what HDDs are accepted by the equipment and what ones are refused?
    2. Two HDD-s different by both producer and size are accepted for RAID1, but refused by trying RAID0-Span. Why ???!?!!! ?(
    3. If i had installed two HDDs in RAID0-Span, can I extend it later by one more HDD without destroying and lossing data?
    4. If I had installed f.e. 4 HDD´s in RAID0-Span mode and one HDD crashes, how can I save the data on the rest of HDD´s ??? Will it be recognized in a normal SATA slot of any PC?
    5. If the electronics of QB-35US3R will crash in the future, how can I rescue my datas on HDDs (for example in RAID1)? Is it possible to do so in any other PC or I need the same HW of QB-35US3R for this purpouse?
    thanks
    Hi,

1.) Nearly every HDD is accepted but we suggest currently HDDs from Samsung or WD.

2.) Try to clean both disks with diskpart before you use them in the Raid, eventually one of them is GPT and one MBR (can causes some trouble)

3.) No, the Raid must be set up with the complete qantity of HDD which should be used

4.) If the Raid 0 is broken it's possible to try to recover some data on a SATA Slot but in most cases this won't work. Raid 0 is very unsafe and should not be used for data which should not get lost.

5.) You need the same Hardware again because the Controller writes the data in his own procedure which isn't usable without the Original Controller.

Best regards,
    Lars
    Greetings

Regarding the second question
    "Two HDD-s different by both producer and size are accepted for RAID1, but refused by trying RAID0-Span. Why ???!?!!!"
    RAID 0 is normally used to increase performance, although it can also be
    used as a way to create a small number of large logical disks out of a
    large number of small physical ones.
    One of the main condition to achieve performance inside an raid0 stripe array is to have same identical hard drives ,disk capacity , manufacturer , rpm , cache , if possible .
    Thats why there are raid specific hard drives almoust at each manufacturer and here are some examples:

Western Digital hard drives with the "RE" termination WD2003FYYS RE for 2TB drives

Samsung Raid Edition 1TB 32MB 7200rpm SATA2 HE103UJ

Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA3 7200rpm (ST3500413AS)

These are some raid edition hard drives which are best to be used in raid arrays and for extended performance and compatibility to use same type,same build in one word TWINS.
    Usualy 2 different manufacturers and types and sizes of hard drives will create plenty of headaches in raid 0 stripe array because the chipset of raidbox will need all the time to make extra calculations on speed of the data transfers and these calculations are made by multiple interrogations in the hard drives firmware which when are same is faster when are different are slower and non accurate.

I hope my explanation helped you out.

Best Regards

Oviundefined
    LED LG 47LE5300 47 inch...Fantec p3700 2TB...Bang & Olufsen custom build sound system...Patriot TS-639 Pro Turbo NAS 4TB