Streaming from Mac OS X Lion

Streaming from Mac OS X Lion

Dear All,
    I am pretty sure some of you are already aware of this, but just in case, to be on the safe side, I am sending the following issue for your consideration.
    I have been successfully using a Fantec TV-FHDS with the wifi dongle, both on Wifi and cabled LAN, for the last year. The product worked great until I installed Mac OS X Lion.
    Now, apparently Lion has dropped Samba, the open source piece of software that allows to connect to Windows PCs, and has implemented a new product (SMBX), which is Apple's own proprietary implementation of SMB. With this, it appears also that SMBX does support SMB1, in addition to SMB2, but with the following restrictions:support.apple.com/kb/HT4698
    Basically, after I try to connect with my Fantec, entering the credentials for the SMB shares on my Mac, the box will not connect (Login Failed). If I open the Console app on my Mac and I look at the logs, I see the attempts to connect via SMB coming from my FANTEC, but I read that the SMB file server included with OS X Lion works with SMB clients that use UNICODE and extended security. With Snow Leopard, everything worked smoothly...
    There are PLENTY of forum posts on the web exactly on this issue, and not only it concerns Fantec, but also WD and other producers such as Boxee.

Thank you
    Greetings from Rome

Ciao bello :)

Thank you for your update...the other days i have try too Lion OS on my Air MacBook and had same issue but after several hours of searching on the web i fix my p3700 to work with Lion Server.

Lion Server does not change the SMB server. It is the same in both versions. Lion Server includes some extra tools, but it doesn't change the actual implementation of the SMB server

How to to fix SMB/restore SMB access in LION a step by step

OSX Lion Samba SMB shares broken – XBMC not working | John Large – Technology & life Blog

Regards

Ovi
    LED LG 47LE5300 47 inch...Fantec p3700 2TB...Bang & Olufsen custom build sound system...Patriot TS-639 Pro Turbo NAS 4TB
    Dear Ovi,

Thanks very much for the post and for the super quick reply.

I had read the procedure already, but I do not see it as a solution for many reasons:

1. The replacement of the standard Lion SMBX with SMB3 requires some sort of "hacking" that I believe is not for everyone. I am personally quite comfortable when it comes to terminal and command prompts, but the procedure described is quite complex for a "normal" Mac/PC user.
    2. Apparently, switching to SMB3 requires a lot of text writing in smb.conf. For each and every share there is something to be written and edited. And it makes completely unusable Mac's Sharing preferences.
    3. There is no way to start SMB3 at startup, it needs to be done manually.

In other words, this would really be a pain in the a**. I am desperate for having my Fantec back to how it was before!!! :(((

Please, Ovi, do not tell me that you will not release a sort of update or consider some alternative means to solve this! I know it's on Apple's fault, but as far as I am noticing, the entire Mac-Media server community (Fantec, Western Digital, Boxee and so on and so forth) is destroyed by this issue! It is as if my Fantec did not exist anymore. I have tried using a UPnP server program instead, but it has no subtitle SRT support and it is basically unusable to me.

Apparently, XBMC guys have released an update for that... FANTEC, do not abandon Mac people!!

Thanks again for the hint and the efforts.

Maurizio
    hello again Maurizio

I know the feeling of having a nice gadget wich worked pretty ok then with some software changes ...not performing anymore as use to be,lets have at least some hope and maybe apple will show also some flexibility and we also will do our best to make things easier.

As for the given solution in the post before it was the quickest and the only affordable solution at this moment,i hope in near future to have an more elegant and simple solution for this related issue.

Regards

Ovi

P.S. The subject of changing SMB by Apple is their own responsability Mauro...WD,Fantec and any other manufacturer cannot be "forced" to adapt their units as Apple wants...without offense but it is Apple's "pie" and they should handle it properly...don't you think?
    LED LG 47LE5300 47 inch...Fantec p3700 2TB...Bang & Olufsen custom build sound system...Patriot TS-639 Pro Turbo NAS 4TB

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von „ovidiu31“ () aus folgendem Grund: some more addition

ovidiu31 schrieb:

P.S. The subject of changing SMB by Apple is their own responsability Mauro...WD,Fantec and any other manufacturer cannot be "forced" to adapt their units as Apple wants...without offense but it is Apple's "pie" and they should handle it properly...don't you think?
    I totally agree with you, Ovi, that’s why I am even more frustrated!! Apple is not new to these things, we know…

On the other hand, manufacturers are also aware that a big slice of the market pie would be out of their reach if they do not update/upgrade their gadgets. Look at my situation: I am a Mac fan and I will always use Macs. My beloved Fantec box is completely unusable now. But again, you are right in principle.

I guess Fantec guys might want to look after the issue anyhow to see if there’s an easier fix, for example, by suggesting a tweak (if it exists) for the settings…

Anyway, I am also posting for your information, the log I see on my Console app, with the connection error message:

25/07/11 18:15:32,434 smbd: 10.0.1.6 SMB client not supported - Unicode, NT Errors, Long Names and Extended Security are required

Et voilà, Fantec will decide what to do with my report.

For now, cheers from Rome to everyone. And thanks for the replies.

Maurizio
    Dear Ovi,
    I am not sure I understand what the articles says in german, even by translating it with Google, I could not understand the steps I have to undertake.
    As far as I understood, is this a beta firmware? If I install it and it does not work, will I be able to go back to my previous firmware?
    Sorry but I really do not get it.
    Thanks a lot for your help,
    Maurizio
    hello mauro

yes you can safely go back to previous firmware.now...i dunno if it will fix your problem but you should try it out.

Regards

P.S. You can also try this workaround fix with telnet to your mediaplayer :

updating mDNSResponder's config file.

Edit /etc/mDNSResponder.conf. It contains a line that says:

"your hostname" _smb._tcp local. 139

Change it into

"your hostname" _smb._tcp local. 445

Save the file and restart mDNSResponder using this command

/etc/init.d/S9mDNSResponder restart

Now you should be able to connect to your Samba share's again.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von „ovidiu31“ ()

OK, Ovi, I will try all these technical stuff this afternoon.
    I have done telnet only a few times, but it is never too late to learn something!!!
    Will let you know tomorrow.
    Cheers
    Maurizio

At 16:56
    Hi Ovi
    I am trying now, but I do not have the telnet user id and pwd to perform the operations you asked me to carry out.
    Could you please help?
    Thanks
    Maurizio

At 17:07
    Ok, tried with the user “root”, worked fine.
    Can access the /etc folder but I do not see the file you are talking about, i.e. /etc/mDNSResponder.conf

Where is it? Should I create one from scratch?

Thanks

Maurizio

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von „mau.navarra“ () aus folgendem Grund: OK, Tried all options you suggested. Tried the SDK4 firmware (nice graphics, but very buggy) and SMB did not work with my Lion. Any news from your side? Thanks